- All street food is either meat or deep fried, and very often both. Makes healthy eating out here difficult, and makes being a non-meat eater painful. Surely no one should eat this many eggs.
- My feet are always dirty. Even if I’m being well coordinated and manage to not step in puddles/shit, my feet are still always dirty.
- Walking on the street or pavements requires constant vigilance and concentration. Trying not to be hit by a rickshaw/CNG/bus/car whatever else is on the road/pavement. While dodging potholes, open manholes etc. While being subjected to constant hooting. This is hard work when tired/grumpy.
- Power cuts – the one last night really pissed me off. I sat in the dark and ate a whole bar of Lindt chocolate. Which costs 290 taka here. My allowance works out to just over 300 taka a day. So it was an expensive binge.
- My lovely new Macbook is so dirty that childservices might get involved. Ok, my fault for buying a white Macbook I guess. But it was so pretty when I bought it, and now less then 3 weeks in country it is grimy. (James – you would be shocked and appalled).
- Not being able to buy good wine easily/if at all. I could have murdered a (good) bottle of wine last night. Ok, I could have gone to buy some illicit 75% proof, home brewed vodka fairly close, or hassled with a CNG down to the government depo. But both options required effort, and effort was what I didn’t want.
- My lovely FabIndia salwar kameezes are getting ruined by the local washing technique here – which really just amounts to our cleaner bashing clothes against the concrete floor of the bathroom.
- Mosquitos – got bitten a lot last night during my chocolate binge. Someone is leaving that damn screen door to the balcony open again…
- Sharing a room – Anne is great, but there is nothing like having a private space just for me and my bad mood.
- Doing anything here creates a bit of a crowd. I miss the anonymity of London.
PS We’re off to Khulna for the weekend, another 8 hour bus trip. Is everything in Bangladesh an 8 hour bus trip away?