What WAS I thinking?
– impromptu haircuts while out shopping after work are ill advised. This is especially true when living in Bangladesh.
– when the hairdresser in the ‘salon’ is threading someone’s eyebrows when you arrive, and giving someone else a facial when you leave, caution should be exercised.
– there are three options for women’s haircuts in Bangladesh a) straight b) step and c) shaggy. No further descriptions are given on these three options.
– wet hair is not a prerequisite for a haircut in Bangladesh. Nor is a quick comb through first. The first thing that comes out is the pair of scissors. It was sit down, and BANG scissors to hair. Chop, chop, chop.
– a haircut for £1.20 is unlikely to be a good one.
As a special Christmas treat for myself, I am now the proud owner of a ‘shaggy’. Can’t say it’s my best haircut (it’s currently vying for worst haircut, along with the time when I ended up with short hair, by mistake), but it certainly was the most fun. I was officially the first foreigner in the salon, and the hairdresser plans to not throw my hair away, but keep it as evidence.
Re Christmas: Upon hearing that I am staying in Rangers for Christmas, Buddha Datta (monk) has arranged a Christmas lunch for me in his meditation centre, with the Moanoghar ladies. And I have been given my first Christmas present, some sweet curd. From Jhimmi, who talked me into the haircut tonight…I’m glad I’m staying here for Christmas, in my lovely Rangamati with one special monk and some crazy ladies. It might sound like a sad Christmas, but really it’s not. Sure, I’d rather be with my family and friends, but that is what next Christmas is for. This Christmas is for this experience, which I’ll never get a chance to repeat. Christmas: Chakma style.
I’ll leave you with the words of VSO Bangladesh’s Christmas email to us:
Happy Merry Christmas to all of you.
Heavenly Joy and Peace comes in the World through the Born of Jesus Christ
Wishing you a bright Merry Christmas and A Bright Happy New Year 2010.
Take care and have a peaceful life.
Blessing GOD bless you.